Sunday, July 6, 2008

Have you ever noticed you have to spend money to save money...

Don't get me wrong...I love a bargain, but have you ever thought about the fact that to save money you have to spend money. Take the new counter top that we bought for our kitchen remodel...the one we haven't started yet!

When we bought this old house it bugged me that when you came in the front door you were standing in the kitchen...no hiding the dirty dishes! We temporarily fixed the problem by building a wall and creating a little entry way...very little. Creating the entry also shrunk the kitchen, and the kitchen was still connected to the living room, but that was okay because we plan to move the entire kitchen eventually. There are just a few other projects we had planned first.

The other day while surfing the internet Eli found a solid surface counter top with a built-in sink and an island, that perfectly fit our plans, for only $400. It was being sold by some people that just built a house & decided they wanted a lighter color. Eli im'd me at work with the link to "check it out" & he was right it was perfect...except we don't really need it right now! To further convince me it was the perfect deal & we should buy it, he picked me up for a lunch date & took me to Home Depot. We had the counter top sales lady give us a quote...she was actually having a sale & it was only going to cost us $2400!

Needless to say...we bought the counter top! But just think...we saved $2000!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so true! That is how they get us! They tell us it is a bargain or they give us a coupon and then we are motivated to buy it just because it is a bargain! I love coupons but I do sometimes buying things I do not necessarily need just because I have a coupon!

The great thing about getting the countertop, though, is that now you have some motivation to start on the remodel of the kitchen! Is it even feasible to begin it in the near future?

Guinevere said...

I just found your blog from Claire's. Yeah! The railing is so so so beautiful! Just let us know when you want to come visit MA and we'll find some projects here for you! I'm all proud of our new chair rail; I can't imagine how much work those bannisters must have been.

Love you and miss you!