Sunday, July 13, 2008

Happy Birthday?

I realized yesterday that "Happy Birthday" means different things to different people. Yesterday was Eli's birthday...and the thing he wanted to do for his birthday was paint our house!

When we took our lunch break Tanner thought we were done & asked, "What are we gonna do now to celebrate dad's birthday?" I explained that we were already doing it...that's when I realized that having a "Happy Birthday" changes meaning as we grow up. As adults we don't need a big party with lots of friends & gifts in order to be happy...we just want to doing something we enjoy with those we love. Maybe it's because we don't want to be reminded of our age...or maybe because as we get older we realize people & relationships are more important than things.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy birthday Eli! Too true, that is already starting to change for me, I don't care too much about big parties anymore, let's just have some fun!

Howlett's said...

Happy birthday Uncle Roby!! I decided that I don't want to have any more birthday's any more. Who wants to get older??

kerrbear said...

Funny you are older than me and you are just realizing this! I have been a kid forever and I have for the longest time loved to do the bbq and just jump in puddles for my birthday! I actually celebrate St. Patricks Day in a bigger way than I do my birthday!
I had a party last year for St. Patricks Day and when a group of people presented me with a gift I was actually embarrassed! I didn't want anything for this holiday! Funny huh! What do you like to do for your birthday?

Evan said...

For my birthday I got a kid!

And a healthy wife!


Hurray!

I don't know that I would have been very impressed by those as a little kid, (still am a kid - just not so little,) but they were all I could have really wanted for this year...

Things really do change!