Tuesday, January 20, 2009

May 10, 1991...More strolling down Memory Lane!

Life has been pretty boring lately, & I've been wishing I had something for my blog. The last time my Life Story group got together the topic was our wedding day, so I've decided to post what I wrote.

Where’s Sem…

It’s a good thing Eli & I both have a sense of humor, considering the comedy of errors that we call our wedding day!

It all started at 2 am, when we rang the doorbell of the temple apartment that my mom had reserved for Eli’s parents, so they could spend the week prior to our wedding doing temple work. Imagine our surprise when a stranger opened the door…I guess he was pretty surprised too! Not knowing where to find Eli’s parents, we both went to the room my parents had reserved for our family. When we arrived at the room there was already a crowd, due to the fact that not only had my parents decided to invite Guinevere & Evan to spend the night with us, but Suzy & Brent decided to spend the night also! The apartment had only two hide-a-bed couches, but somehow we found a place for everyone to sleep. Poor Eli spent the night before his wedding sleeping on the floor! Come to find out, earlier in the week there was construction going on next-door to the apartment his parents should have been in, so they had been given another room.

So much for not letting the groom to see the bride before the wedding!

We found Eli’s parents the next morning & all walked over to the temple together. As we entered, some very friendly temple workers greeted us & I was rushed off to the Bride’s room, along with my mother & mother-in-law. I assumed Eli had been rushed off to the “groom’s” room with the two dads…Imagine my surprise as Eli & I were brought into the Sealing room & Eli’s father was not present!

Eli’s father, who does not understand English very well, had been lost in the hustle at the front door & had been lead in to a regular temple session. This was before the temples were computerized, so a very helpful temple worker had to go check all the sessions in progress looking Sem, my soon to be father-in-law.

While we were waiting for Sem to be located & brought to the Sealing room, we learned that the Sealer performing our ceremony had been the mission president of a Spanish-speaking mission and was able to translate the ceremony for my father-in-law.

What a wonderful blessing for my father-in-law who had been lost & confused to be able to understand the sacred ceremony being preformed that day.

Sem, Maria, Eli, Me, Mom & Dad


Pictured L-R: Dad's side, Eli sleeping, Brent & Suzy in the corner on the floor, Evan, Me & Guinevere.


A Few more fun photos from the day...

What a beautiful bride? ...poor Claire was SO sick!



Eli being silly...



Monkeying around... Suzy, Me & Lori Harper


Getting ready for the kissing pic...


...we couldn't keep a straight face & ended up laughing instead of kissing!


And the car...does anyone know who these kids belong too!

Joseph, what's that behind your back...


Done...just done!

...we had grass clipping coming out of the air conditioner for months!


4 comments:

Howlett's said...

WOW!! What a blast from the past. Thanks for sharing.

Guinevere said...

Mwaaha ha! I remember that! I LOVED the pantsuit I got to wear.... :)

Ambria said...

I LOVE it! I don't have many memories of this day... but the one I do have is decorating the car... I'm so glad you have a picture of it!

Claire said...

I remember this day!! One of my earliest memories! I was extremely sick the whole day, I remember just wanting to be in my dad's arms! Thank you for the wonderful pictures! What a great day it was, lots of fun to reminisce...