Thursday, January 29, 2009

Making Lemonade!

So...on November 13th as I was getting out of the car after getting home from work, Eli came dashing out to greet me! In my mind I was thinking, "oh cute, he's excited I'm home" but alas, I was wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he was glad I was home, but the reason he was meeting me at the car was he had bad news he didn't want to discuss in front of the boys...He had been laid off from the school where he was teaching.

Luckily, about a week before this, he had taken a part-time job at WalMart, working evenings in the Dairy section. At the time that he was inspired to apply it was going to be extra money for Christmas & paying off some debt we incurred while he was in school...thank heavens for that still small voice that we sometimes think is our own good ideas! We actually didn't tell many people at first, because we aren't the only ones affected by this economy & although things have been a bit tight for us, we've been okay.

So why am I writing about it now? Well, earlier tonight I was counting my blessings and realize that some of them are because Eli was laid off!

I am thankful for a messy house...because it means Tanner has had friends over. After Eli was laid off, we transfered Tanner to our neighborhood school. It has been a wonderful move for him, for the first time in a long time Tanner has made some really good friends!

I am thankful for a tight budget...because it means we aren't spending our money foolishly & we are more appreciative of the things we have.

I am thankful to be tired at the end of the day...because it means I had to get up early enough to take Connor to early-morning seminary. There have been many mornings, when after snoozing my alarm too many times, Connor comes to remind me that he can not miss Seminary. I am SO glad that he enjoys studying the gospel!

I am thankful for sore feet...because it means I was able to go walking with my friend before work.

I am thankful for a pile of work on my desk...because it means I will be busy! I love my job and feel so good at the end of the day to be able to see what I have accomplished.

I am thankful for static on the radio...because it makes me turn it off & gives me the peace necessary to hear the promptings of the Holy Ghost to call a friend, not knowing that she had just had a lousy day and needed cheering up!

I am thankful to have a sink full of dishes...because it means my growing boys are getting plenty to eat...not to mention the fact that they are the ones that get to wash them!

And believe it or not, I am thankful for traffic & stop lights...because they teach me patience. Some times it's just not worth stressing about getting stuck at every red light or getting mad at another driver...because in the end you always get where you were going, but if you let those things bother you, you just end up in a bad mood & can't enjoy the things going on around you!

Yes, right now there are many lemons in my life...but I choose to make lemonade!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Very nice list! I hope Dave makes it down to visit. He has the cell phone with him. 337-842-1618.

TJ said...

Good for you! We all have our own lemons and sometimes it is hard to see the blessings through all the chaos.

Toni said...

It's nice to remember what the real blessings are--the ones that last forever.

Thanks!

T