Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Silence Is Golden...

It all started a few days ago...Tanner & I had been running errands & decided to get something to eat on the way home rather than cook. As I was getting ready to order, I turned off my radio to speak to the person that was taking my order. After getting our food, I forgot to turn the radio back on. We had been driving in silence for a while before I noticed how peaceful it felt. Then the most amazing thing happened...Tanner & I actually had a conversation about his day at school, rather then sing to the radio together!

The next morning as Connor & I got in the car to go to seminary & work, Connor asked, "Why is the radio off?" Then, after I explained why the radio was off, he & I preceded to have another very nice conversation!

After work, as I was driving home alone...still with the radio off, I realized that there is almost always some sort of noise going on in the background during my day...the radio playing in the car as I'm driving or in my office while I'm working, or the TV at home...even when no one is watching it. Then I realized, I really enjoyed the quiet! So...I have been leaving the radio off in the car & turning off the TV at home more often.

Wow! What a difference it has made! Not only am I getting to know my boys a little better & have them know I am interested in what they're doing...I find that I can actually hear that still small voice sometimes...now that it doesn't have to compete with the noise!

1 comment:

TJ said...

Very true Michelle. I try to do that with my boys and insist the tv be off during dinner (even in the background) more just for my sanity...my "how was school?" conversations aren't always well recieved...apparently the 5 year doesn't ever want to talk about it unless something REALLY cool happened....he always tells me he will tell me later. Go figure. I usually do get him (force with bribes) to tell me 2 things at least before I drop it...the answer is usually "we went outside" and "riley went to the office.." LOL