Wednesday, July 4, 2012

No More Ugly Shoes...

I've had a bunion on my right foot for at least 10 years. In 2002 I had them on both feet and saw a podiatrist about having them removed. The one on my left foot was the most painful, so the doctor suggested I have that one done first.

The recuperation after the surgery was long and painful. In fact, it was over six months before I had any feeling in my big toe and much longer before the range of motion was back to normal. The pain and swelling lasted so long that even after six weeks and the doctor said it was okay to stop wearing the ugly boot, I still had to go buy shoes that were wide enough for my swollen foot. At my six week check-up when the doctor asked about scheduling the surgery for my right foot, I told him it wasn't really that painful and I thought I'd wait.

Well, I finally got to a point where the one on my right foot was painful, especially when I would wear certain shoes, so I found a new podiatrist and scheduled the surgery. On May 25th I had the surgery, and this time around it was SO much better! I was only in pain for 3 days! Also, the scar is much shorter, I already have my feeling back, most of the swelling is gone and my range of motion is almost back to normal.

Even though the pain was gone, I had to wear this ugly boot for four weeks and the shoe for two weeks after that. 

I guess the fact that they cut the bone in half, realign it, and put a screw in it make it necessary to protect the foot while the bone heals. Yesterday when the doctor took x-rays of the foot you could barely see where the bone had been cut.

I am so excited to be back in my normal, fun, summer shoes! 

No comments: