Sunday, October 4, 2009

Dad's Got a Friend

One of the hardest parts of having dad at Jamestown is the fact that in the Enhanced Care unit he does not get much social stimulation. There are lots of fun activities that keep him active and engaged, but unfortunately most of the other residents can not carry on a coherent conversation. The staff is very good about spending time with dad taking him along when they run errands and he has also been able to attend some of the activities at the activity center on the Assisted Living side, but unfortunately he doesn't usually remember.

When I went to pick him up for a visit last Saturday I noticed a man I'd never seen before and noticed he was having a conversation with one of the staff members. I asked dad if he had met him yet & he could not remember, but today as we walked through the lobby on our way out Mike (the new resident) stopped dad to shake his hand. While they were talking I asked the nurse (Summer) as she was opening the door for us if Mike was on the same level as dad & she said with a big grin, "Yes!" I guess that just after Mike moved in Summer had taken dad over to Mike's apartment to introduce them and now they spend a lot of time talking with one another.

Dad has never been a social butterfly by any means, but I know he has missed the opportunity to have a real conversation with the other residents. Yay for new neighbors & the chance for dad to have some more social stimulation!

1 comment:

Guinevere said...

That's great to hear! I wish we were closer, but I'm glad you're there and get to spend time with him. Tell him hello from us! I'll be sending some family pictures that include the new great-grandson.

He and you all are in our prayers!